Tuesday, February 4, 2014

SubaruVanagon Alt Wiring Design

One of the toughest parts of this SubaruVanagon conversion has been the wiring.  The instructions and diagrams I've seen are hard to understand.  Today, I'm posting a photo I sent to RMW and the subsequent diagram I created to wrap my head around it better.  Hopefully, this will help others, who are in my same boat as well.

The main concern with the design shown in the photo & diagram attached is around the Bl/Rd voltage regulator sense wire.  RMW instructed me to wrap it around, crimp an eye-let on the end and connect it directly to the alternator as shown in the diagram and photo below.  However, I've been told by experts online at SubaruVanagon to connect to the B+ post via a 10 amp fuse in the black box.

Which way do I do it?  I need a tie-breaker!  LOL!!!

UPDATE (February 7) - Tie-breaker results are IN. 

Based on feedback from numerous folks that have done it this way and Paul, my mentor, who says "electrically they are the same result"...  I will implementing as designed here.

Photo of my alternator harness with RMW comments
How the photo translates in my head...

No comments: