Sunday, January 26, 2014

Labeled the VW Engine

Today, I spent about 4 hours labeling my VW Vanagon engine before it gets pulled.

I focused the labeling on the wiring harness and hoses that went through the "firewall" to the front of the van, so they are preserved when the engine is pulled.  The labels should allow me to know what to hook up to the Rocky Mountain Westy kit's hoses/harness when the Subaru engine is hooked up.
I used the Bentley Vanagon manual to figure out what is what and if I still could not figure out, I posted photos of engine parts to TheSamba.com.  I got feedback within 2 hours of posting and was easily able to label the remaining parts.
 Driver Side
The driver side of the engine bay has most of the wiring harness, since that is where the Vanagon brains come through the firewall from the bench seat.  This side as the oil pressure sensor/switch, temp sensor and sender, ignition wiring, and the AC hoses and wiring.  I will not be hooking up the AC right away, so it is important to keep all that stuff labeled until that time comes.
Passenger Side
Some funky stuff happens on the passenger side with air intakes, vacuums, and power steering.  There are some VW sensors like Air Flow Meter, Throttle Position Sensor, and P/S pressure sensor that I won't care about since these will all be done by the Subaru engine instead.  There are vacuum hoses that come from a vacuum actuator located in the rear wheel well on the passenger side.  I am not sure how important these are once the Subaru engine is installed, but it is worth a label to keep them all organized.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

trying to find out what the single wire yellow connector at the driverside front of the engine bay is...

sprouts out of the wiring harness, has the connector then sprouts back into the harness....