Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Need to wire this up... What pins are really required!?


Currently, I'm struggling with how to connect the least # of OBD2 wires from the engine bay of my van to the front, where I will have a diagnostics port available near the dash.  Paul Guzyk mentioned that a mechanic is going to want to plug in their favorite scan tool up front and drive around to diagnose a problem and that made perfect sense.  However, I don't want to run 7-8 OBD2 wires all the way up front, so I need to get only the ones I really care about out of these connectors!

Subaru pin-outs vs. OBD2Cables.com pin-outs

These are all 'front-facing' on the female connector.  Neither of the Subaru OBD2 connectors have pins in then 2,10, 6, or 14 positions.  These are the positions OBD2Cables.com uses for their shielded 'signal' wires.  They are shielded to prevent interference when transferring the codes, etc. to and from the ECU.

Also, curious as to why my 2001 Subaru has an extra pin (Violet/White wire in pin #9) that the 2003 Subaru connector does not.  I have no idea why.

OBD2Cables.com vs. 2001 Subaru vs. 2003 Subaru


When comparing an online guide to Subaru pin-outs to my Subaru connectors, I see a big difference.  For instance, neither of my connectors have pin 6 or pin 15.  My Subaru connectors do have pin 7 (K-LINE) in common with the table, which might imply signals are sent over pin 7; however, this is not how OBD2Cables.com builds their cables (see above).  If it were so, OBD2Cables.com would have shielded wire for pin 7 as well.

UPDATE: April 16, 2014 - I chose 5, 7, and 16 based on this chart.  
Note:  Hans at Vanaru recomended also wiring up 4, which is a GND as well.






No comments: