Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Subaru ECU limited to 120 mph - Ask me how I know!

This Fourth of July I had the pleasure of testing out the new Subaru engine in my Westy on I-25 in Wyoming where the speed limit is 80 mph.  That said, I ran into a bit of a issue that lead my mind wandering in all directions from dying fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, bad fuel, and lastly to my Fast Forward VSS.  At 80 mph on the Vanagon speedo, it chugged violently until I laid off the gas.  I figured fuel starvation for sure.  But, once I got home, consulted the Interwebs, and ran a few more 80+ mph test drives, the VSS ended up being the culprit as it was registering speeds so outta whack that my Subaru ECU literally puked at what it thought was 120 mph!   Below is a photo taken of my OBD2 gauge showing 120 mph right as my van chugged on my last test drive.  If your VSS is showing highly volatile readings, get it replaced.  David from Fast Forward is sending out a new unit as I write this.  Looking for to getting it installed.  81 MPH here I COME!

OBD2 Gauges @ 80 mph in the van

No comments: