Tuesday, July 22, 2014

P1101 Code - Second Attempt to Fix

EDIT July 23, 2014 - Good and Bad results from test drive yesterday.  Good - The cheapo spare ECU runs great!  Bad - It also throws the P1101 code, so no luck resolving it yet.

According to Tom Shiels, "some ECUs throw 'P1101 - Neutral Position Switch error code' and some do not. It is not a science."  I guess either you get lucky or you don't...  I am unlucky in this category.  There are a few other wiring shenanigans to try to get rid of this pesky code, but I've opted for just trying a different ECU.  If it doesn't work, at least I'll have a back up ECU, which is a nice thing to have anyway.  I did not want to just get the same year/model ECU as I already have - I wanted to get a different one to make sure I had at least something different between the two ECUs.

I found this little unit on eBay for only $38 + FREE SHIPPING.  Wow - how could I go wrong?  That is cheap considering others are around $120 or more.

2000 Subaru Legacy M/T ECU
The part # was not the same as my 2001 ECU, so I called Subaru and they confirmed the two were compatible.  The only #s off were at the end.  The 2000 Legacy ECU had an additional "RA".

2001 Subaru Legacy M/T ECU code: 22611 - AD86F
2000 Subaru Legacy M/T ECU code: 22611 - AD86FRA

According to the Subaru dealer, the last two digits don't matter.  I replaced the computer and the van fired right up!  Now, I need to drive it for a good 100 miles or so to see if it throws the P1101 code as well.  I'll report back soon enough...




No comments: