Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Transmission-Main Seal "Cover" Won't Fit!


This was another, albeit minor, BUMP in the road on my Subaru/Vanagon conversion (~1 hour of my time to modify it).  The part is not a show stopper to the conversion, but it is reasonably important.  It is used to cover the gap between the Vanagon transmission and the Subaru engine (under the main seal) - keeping the main seal area nice and clean.  It did not fit properly because the oil pan was in the way.  I have a stock Subaru oil pan and I would have thought the manufacturer would make a cover that fit OEM parts at least.  RMW currently distributes the cover in their kit even though it is from a third party manufacturer.  They should just start making it themselves, because if they did, I know the quality would be better and it would fit! :)

To do this little project I needed a grinder.  Had I been in my own garage, I would've been screwed and this simple thing would've been an expensive endeavor.  But, as luck would have it, Paul's shop has one!  

Mark the area to grind out
After grinding it down, it looks like this.
Sealant for good measure before installing it



No comments: