Sunday, May 11, 2014

Finally! Starting the Vanagon with Subaru engine

The virgin start of my Subaru/Vanagon conversion went like this...

With fire extinguisher in-the-ready, Paul told me to give it a shot.  The first key turn was a dud.  Paul asked "did you do anything around the fuse box?"  Why yes... Yes I did!  I put in high-powered head light relays under there and ended up dislodging the main power cable from the battery.  Ooops!  With his electric sorcery, Paul troubleshooted the issue and we figured out where to re-connect everything.  To my defense, the Vanagon fuse panel blows.  Haha.  Literally.

On the second key turn, it fired right up.  As we celebrated, it puked gas all over the shop floor!  Evidently, I didn't tighten the fuel return hose very well :)  Thankfully, I turned it off before we needed the fire extinguisher.

But, as they say, third times a charm!

No comments: