Saturday, April 5, 2014

New BOSCH Starter Installed

Word on the street is that you should put in a nice, new starter when doing a Subaru conversion.  The engine takes a weeee bit more to crank and considering how you have to take the whole frigg'n Subaru engine off the trany just to install a new starter, now it the time to do it when they are apart anyway.

I have an '86 Weekender, which was the last year VW put in the wimpy HP starters.  Given the later model Vanagon starters, which are beefier, fit fine in the early model vans, I opted for one of those to make sure I had enough cranking power.  We will see!

EDIT: July 16, 2014 - This starter works awesome for my Subaru 2.5L.  It turns over immediately every time.  Only time will tell how long it lasts, but very very happy so far with it.

SR401X - packs more HP than the old one for my '86


New BOSCH starter on the trany



No comments: