Friday, March 21, 2014

Wiring Up VSS and OBD2

Here are my plans to wire up VSS and OBD2 connector from the rear of the van to the front.  It is important to have a good signal for the VSS, so shielded 18 AWG copper wire protected by OEM level sheathing was chosen.  The cable has 6 wires, so the other 3 will serve to send OBD2 power, ground, and codes signal from the rear to the front.  There are only 3 wires required for Subaru codes, so I am going to cut a regular OBD2 cable, splice the three wires I need to send, and only route those to the front female connector.  Also, I have a Subaru diagnostic port (includes an female OBD2 connector, of course) that I found at a UPull & Pay for $2.  I'm going to split the signal to that port as well so mechanics working in the back of the van will also have a signal.

A., B, and C. are all housed in a water-proof poly-carbonate case along with the Subaru ECU.
Depending on whether the 3 PIN connectors are put into the VW black box or kept exposed in the engine bay will determine the quality of connector I use.  At the front of the van, all the wires are protected under the dash, so they will be standard connectors.

Last, I will actually be running 2 cables (e.g., 12 wires total) under that van.  The spare wires will come in handy when hooking up Subaru Cruise Control and aftermarket gauges when the time comes.


No comments: