Saturday, June 28, 2014

P1101 Code Resolved - NOT!

EDIT July 7, 2014: IT'S BACK!  Grrrrrrr.....  Onto the next thing to try!  I'll keep you posted.

My 2001 M/T Subaru ECU had been throwing a P1101 - Neutral position switch circuit low error for several weeks now.  In simple terms, it means the ECU is not recognizing whether the manual transmission Neutral or in gear, which is understandable because there is no transmission sensor on the Vanagon to tell the Subaru ECU what it's doing.  I got advice from Tom Sheils on how to resolve.  The fix was to put a 470 Ohm resistor between the Neutral SW B26 wire on the ECU and GND.  Note: On other years of Subaru, this may not be the B26.  It was an easy modification to make since RMW had labeled the proper B26 Neutral SW wire.

With the resistor in place, I test drove the Vanagon on several trips that had previously caused the P1101 code and it did not appear.  So, I'm calling it fixed!

Resistor wired up and then heat shrink (on left) sealed it up

Protected by glass fuse holder and wired between the B26 Neutral SW wire & GND

5 comments:

BrianU said...

Is there a reason you went for the passive route instead of hooking the wire up to a sensor on the clutch (assuming its a manual)?

Just wondering since i took the sensor route (and wanted a sensor on the clutch regardless for the cruise cutout)

Jason said...

Hi Brian! I don't have a clutch switch hooked up yet and adding a simple resistor was easy to try first(but, did not work!!). Did your clutch sensor resolve a P1101? If so, it's probably my next thing to try.

BrianU said...

The neutral switch needs to be intermittently triggered.. having it at a fixed level will cause the code to come back.

I have a single switch on my clutch that I took from the donor car that was originally the brake switch (I think its a common part should be able to find it any wreaked or parts store) - and has a double terminal. One set of pins is completed in the switch is depressed the other in interrupted. I have the interrupted side going to the cruise side and the completed side are on the neutral switch and going to ground. This allows the clutch being depressed to be pull the wire to ground.

Unknown said...

Jason,

I could really use some advise. After 6 months converting to a 2.5L Subi I am stuck on one final issue that's keeping me parked. I'm desperate and need some help. Tom has been helping but I wanted to see if anyone else had suggestions.

Van - 87 Auto
Doner: 1998 Subaru Forester 2.5

After 5 minutes of driving my car throws P1507 and P1722. I believe this has to do with the transmission wiring.

Currently I have the following:
Pin 81 is blank - to define A/T mode.
Pin 82 is spliced to 86 Start wire (T7a-6)
Pin 83 VSS signal is connected and I am getting speed readings on my OBD2 reader
-I've also tried disconnecting 82, and grounding 81.

I can not find any vacuum leaks, engine has no issues running until this code comes up after about 5 minutes of driving. Both codes always show up at the same time.

Would a M/T ECU help me?

Any ideas outside the wiring I should consider?

Jason said...

It's best to match the donor ECU with the Vanagon's transmission, so an A/T ECU would be best. Have you taken a look at the Neutral Safety Switch? It's probably bad.

http://www.thediyguy.net/2013/03/how-to-repair-a-subaru-with-the-mysterious-p1507-code